I was recently on a months paternity leave. Paternity Leave went something like this:
- Wake up in the morning between 6 and 7am, and going to bed at 9pm. Essentially rising and falling with the Sun
- Following my work-out routine as normal or as best I can
- Lots of time outside, in the fresh air, under the sun, walking baby
- Constantly on my feet – the days passed so quickly taking care of baby and trying to get everything done
I returned to the office this week and my routine was something like this:
- My day revolves around a 9 to 5 schedule
- Workouts are either done very early in the morning, or very late in the evening
- Lots of time inside, in air-conditioned air, in artificial light
- A sedentary lifestyle, sitting at my desk for the majority of my day
What happened with this sudden change from home to office? I was sick by day four. Take any animal, remove it from its natural environment, and it will get sick, either mentally or physically. In animals its sometimes called Zoochosis.
Humans live in a self built cage. We’ve used our intelligence to advance medical science so we live longer, and at the same time, we’ve completely altered the world we live in so that our environment no longer matches the one our evolutionary adaptations make us suited to. Evolution is about adaption, and if I listen to the warnings my body is giving me, its saying my body is poorly adapted to life in a chair, under artificial light, breathing recirculated air. Being outside and moving, is the best path to staying healthy, its just a pity that won’t pay the mortgage.